No Tricks, Just Treats with These Halloween Teas
Tea blends of all types can be enjoyed year-round. One way tea is unique is that it can be brewed to complement the season you are experiencing. A fun way to enjoy tea is to discover or create your own recipe with ingredients that match a holiday’s theme. Halloween is one of our favorite holidays to experiment with recipes. Between the autumn flavors, vibrant colors, and spooky add-ins, there are many festive and delicious ways to treat yourself as well as your kids!
Along with the tasty flavor it provides, tea can be a benefit to your Halloween plans for many reasons. It can provide some warmth while you are outside, an iced refreshment if you live in warmer climates, and can be a needed boost of caffeine for trick-or-treating. Depending on the type of tea, it can also calm down those expected sugar highs. *A caffeine-free tea or herbal blend is a healthy and excellent beverage for kids to consume to wind down after an exciting night of costumes and candy. Tea is more often consumed by adults and may take some convincing for kids to drink since it is typically not as sweet as juice. With an extra dose of creativity, there are ways to make tea drinking fun and enjoyable for all ages.
Before we dive into some Halloween-inspired recipes, let us first explore some of our favorite ready-made tea blends for this time of year. If it is a work day and you need extra energy for trick or treating, black tea is the ideal after-work beverage because it is the most caffeinated. The sweet and spicy flavors of Pumpkin Spice Black or the rich, luscious taste of Hot Chocolate Soufflé will provide the caffeine boost, sweet treat, and seasonal palate you desire. After a long night, a tea blend that will help relax is exactly what you need, and we have various caffeine-free options. Chamomile is one of our favorite ingredients and is featured in most of our “night-time” blends. Safe for children, this special ingredient will slow down the evening and provide a beneficial slumber. Evening Peace & Quiet and Relaxing Mint Chamomile are two staples when it comes to sleep-focused teas. Depending on the climate you live in, every tea can be enjoyed hot or iced.
*It is important to carefully look at the ingredient list and caffeine content when choosing a tea for children. The American Academy of Pediatrics states,” Kids and teens should be careful when consuming caffeinated drinks. Adolescents between 12 and 18 age may take 100mg caffeine (around one or two cups of tea) in a day. But for children below 12 years of age, they have no said safe threshold.”
Halloween Themed Recipes
Poison Apple Cider *2-3 Servings
Flavors of blood orange and apple are combined for a crisp and tart concoction. When brewed, it becomes a vibrant red color, and the taste is equally bright. Beware, once you take your first sip, you may not be able to stop. This recipe is Caffeine-Free!
What You’ll Need:
- 3 teaspoons of Blood Orange Hibiscus
- 16 oz Boiled Water
- 1 ½ cup of Apple Juice
- ¼ cup of Grated Orange Peel
- 3 dashes of Cinnamon
- Cinnamon Sticks for Garnish
- Steep the Blood Orange Hibiscus tea in boiling water (200°) for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the tea leaves and add the apple juice.
- Sprinkle in the orange peel and cinnamon and mix.
- For an extra touch of cinnamon flavor, add the cinnamon sticks. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Patch Spice Tea *One Serving
Pumpkin spice is all you need to make this time of year complete. This sweet and spicy brew is like pumpkin pie in a cup. Top it off with some whip cream or marshmallows for an extra fun and creamy treat! This recipe is Caffeinated but can be decaf if desired!
What You’ll Need:
- 1-1.5 teaspoons of Warm Vanilla Chai, Vanilla Cinnamon Spice (Caffeine-Free option), or Pumpkin Spice Black (for extra pumpkin flavor)
- ½ cup Milk
- 2-4 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
- ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- Whipped Cream & Cinnamon Stick for topping
- Steep the tea leaves in boiling water (200°) for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine and stir pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice in a saucepan.
- Add milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and cook over low-medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and stir intensely or use a hand blender to make an even, creamy texture.
- Pour into your favorite Fall/Halloween mug and top it off with whipped cream and a stick of cinnamon for garnish.
Hocus Pocus Fizz Tea *One Serving
Fruity and fizzy, this bewitching brew will perk up the senses. It is the perfect beverage for those who live in warmer climates and need a pre or post-trick-or-treating refreshment. This recipe is incredibly simple to make and can be easily modified with any fruit and tea combination you prefer. A favorite for all ages! It can be Caffeinated or Caffeine-Free, depending on the tea you use.
What You’ll Need:
- 1-1.5 teaspoons of your favorite fruity tea (Mango Black, Hibiscus Cranberry Cherry, etc.)
- 4-8 oz of water
- Handful of Orange Fruit (Mango, Oranges, Peaches, etc.) *Can be fresh or frozen.
- ½ cup of Sparkling Water
- Gummy Worms for garnish
- Steep the tea leaves in boiling water. Check our Brewing Guide for steep time and temperature.
- Let the tea cool.
- Add your fruit of choice, sparkling water, and brewed tea in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve chilled and top it off with gummy worms.
*You can add Halloween themed sprinkles or a plastic spider for some extra spooky flair.
Iced Tea Sherbet Float
Last summer we tried out some tea ideas and demonstrated how to make them. Our Iced Tea Sherbet Float is a great one if you live in a hotter climate but would like to have a colorful and great tasting drink. Just change up the tea and sherbet to change the color of the drink. You don’t have to add any food coloring.
What You'll Need:
- Caribbean Punch Green
- Scoops of Orange Sherbet
- Club Soda
*This is what we used in our recipe, but feel free to use any kind of tea or sherbet you like. Have fun with it!
- Brew the tea and let it cool, so it does not melt the sherbet.
- Fill a 16-ounce cup ¾ of the way with sherbet.
- Add your chilled tea.
- Top off with club soda for that carbonated float effect.